Monday, January 3, 2011

Almost Zov's Mac and Cheese



I LOVE mac and cheese.  It's such a wonderful comfort food.   Especially, when the weather is blustery and cold, macaroni and cheese seems to not only warm up your belly, but somehow it seems to warm up your soul.  I realize that I deprive myself of this magical comfort food because, let's face it, it's not the lightest dish.  Well, I've decided I no longer care.  I've decided that I'm going to treat myself to my beloved mac and cheese at least once a month.(Who am I trying to kid? This is going to mean lots more time on Mr. treadmill!!!)  How's that for a New Years resolution! 
  
So, for my first m and c of the 2011, I present you with Zov's Silky Macaorni and Cheese.  Zov is a local, Orange County, restaurateur and celebrity chef.  I saw this recipe posted in the Orange County Register by Cathy Thomas before Christmas and knew that I had to give it a try.  I was immediately impressed with the quantity of white sauce this recipe contained because I knew it would produce a very thick finished dish.  I also liked that Zov added hot sauce.  I always add hot sauce to my white sauce.  It seems to me to add more depth of flavor.  I thought her cheese mixture seemed delicious!  Well, this was indeed, a thick, creamy and yummy mac and cheese. The cheese combo made a mellow, mild sauce that would suit kids and people who don't like a strong cheese flavor. Zov adds heat with the hot sauce, cayenne and black pepper.  You can adjust that to appeal to your audience.
This recipe is at my new site. Hope to see you there :) I've posted a lot of new things.

Here's the home address:  http://www.gonnawantseconds.com/

25 comments:

  1. I feel like everyone in Orange County races about Zov's, but I've never been super impressed. Of course I've never had the mac and cheese. I know what I'm ordering next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one delicious New Years resolution. I am sure my husband would love it if I told him we would have mac n cheese once a month. This looks delicious with the panko on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot think of a more soul satisfying comfort dish than mac n' cheese. This is an awesome way to prepare mac n' cheese.

    Happy New Year!
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. now that is a resolution i can get behind! what a delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also LOVE mac and cheese! Its my over all favorite dish... i usally add peas to mine so i get some kinda green in there haha, but I would probably choose mac and cheese as my last meal.... thats how much Im in love with its cheesy goodness

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like a good mac and cheese! It just screams comfort food. I agree, if the topping isn't crunchy you might as well go without.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness that looks amazing. I love the changes you made, and that topping really makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, this looks terrific! I love baked mac and cheese - such a good contrast between the creamy pasta and the crunchy topping! Delish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous mac n cheese...sounds like the best I've seen. Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I.LOVE.MAC.AND.CHEESE>

    thanks for the new recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mac n Cheese, what's not to love? Found and am now following you from MBC....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mixing cheeses in my mac and cheese! Great recipe to kick off the New Year Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your idea of indulging in macaroni and cheese once a month - for sure! This looks like a bubbly, cheesy, heavenly meal. Love that you add hot sauce. Will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! Thank you for welcoming me into the New Year with a such a decadent meal. My ass will follow next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can never have enough mac and cheese recipes for some reason. Every time I make it I use a different one. Not sure why since they're all perfect and heavenly in my book given enough cheese. But I'm happy to add this one to the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kathleen! What a great post. I love your resolution to treat yourself to your favorite food. This is so important to do! We need to allow ourselves some pleasure! This mac and cheese looks great. I love hotsauce too! Thank you for sharing this plate of cheesy goodness. I hope you have a beautiful Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am the same way about panko as a topping on my Mac & Cheese. It is always seasoned bread crumbs or buttery ritz crackers that I use! Your photo is fabulous and you are making me want Mac & Cheese today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mac and cheese is one of my favorites. My kids and hubby are not big fans; so I do not make it as often as I would like. I think your version with the hot sauce might please them. I definitely like the idea of the homemade breadcrumb topping. I like a nice, crunchy topping on mine:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think any new years resolution that involves more cheese is a great one! This sounds delicious...I love the combination of different cheeses! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! So happy you commented on my post so I could discover your blog! I love it :) And I LOVE real mac 'n' cheese. I only like pasta when smothered in cheese, and this fits the bill. Enjoy every bite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh i really love how pretty the picture are on your blog.. this mac and cheese look so good. i am in love. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. best soul food EVER!
    I just found your blog! EEEK so excited to look around!
    -Mini Baker

    ReplyDelete
  23. Straight up goodness! I think the fact you changed it to your own bread crumbs is great. That first photo is exceptional too, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmmm - Mac n Cheese is one of my all time favorite foods. Period. End of Story. And this one looks like it won't diappoint. That combination of cheeses sounds to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, that cheese combination is calling my name! Who doesn't like mac and cheese?! And homemade kind is the best, thanks for sharing the recipe! It's going on my must-try list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...